I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears, behold I will heal thee.
2Kings 20:5

PitaPata Horse tickers

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Is it a Losing Battle?

It's days like today that make me relive the truth that Cystic Fibrosis is an incurable terminal disease...and it's those memories of special people who passed away that make me ask is CF a losing battle? 

Today a young woman who just turned 20 on June 4th passed away...she was listed and waiting for a double lung & liver transplant. I never met her in person but we had many conversations about CF & transplant and life pre/post....

I cried today because it made me think of Susanne Noble who I became very good friends with...we had so much in common, I knew her before she went to Pittsburgh & received her double lung transplant...and we talked about life post transplant, for her it was not easy at all. She had so many set backs and her recovery was difficult...when she returned home her husband was not there to support her, my heart broke along with hers so many times. I felt her joy when she met a man that loved her and was there for her to the end...and that's what is hard...the end.

I cried today because it made me think of my CF friends who's funerals I sat through...knowing that it could be my funeral...knowing it will be my family who is suffering the sadness of my passing at a young age. I dealt with friends dying of CF when I was in grade school...and yet somehow I stayed optimistic and hopeful, determined CF wouldn't kill me. 

I like the term "celebration of life" rather than "funeral services"...but that doesn't make it hurt less. The internet and social media has opened up the CF community world wide and I have friends from all over the country/world that share their life with me & it's a beautiful thing. It's a double edged sword though...the reality of how many young children and adults die from Cystic Fibrosis becomes so overwhelming and at the same time the stories of awesome people who are doing amazing things living with CF are inspiring. 

My heart breaks for the families of my CF & transplant friends, it's days like today that I am reminded of the continued pain CF causes people...not just us that live with it but all that know us and love us and want to take our pain away. I KNOW how painful Cystic Fibrosis can be...I was there, I went to the edge and I barely survived. I saw and felt the pain my family and my husband experienced and to be honest...at the very end it didn't scare me anymore, to leave them, I was so sick and so tired I just wanted relief. I wanted my burden taken from me because I could no longer carry it. I knew my family was hurting for me but I wasn't in pain anymore...I had found that moment where I could be peaceful and allow my heart and soul to be peaceful. So I know my friends who have passed before me also found that peaceful moment & I take comfort in that. 

So do I think it's a losing battle? Anything worth fighting for until my last breath will never be considered a loss. Some of the greatest men/women to walk the earth died fighting for something they believed in...something that they knew would make the future a better place.  I believe that every day I live with CF and every day the medical world advances from the knowledge they gain adds hope that one day CF will be cured. 

No comments:

Where to start to learn about my transplant!

Thank You for taking the time to read my blog. I am hoping that through this blog and my experiences that I can bring hope, faith and strength to all that may be living with Cystic Fibrosis, CF with Cepacia and Lung Transplant recipients. Information and blog entrees start Nov. 07. My Double Lung Transplant was on Dec. 10th 2007. Please feel free to read about my experience and ask me any questions! My email address is jamiebug77@gmail.com

My Story - Pause Music Player First

Popular Posts

My Testimony

It's hard to put into words how I feel toward my Heavenly Father and the Savior. I have so many reasons to be thankful for what I have gone through & endured. Because of my trials in life I have gained a strong testimony of Faith. I have always had Faith in the Lord and in Prayer. As I faced the decision to get a double lung transplant I had to rely on faith to make the choice.....By listening to the spirit, I was guided to Pittsburgh where my life was saved. I believe prayers are answered. I have always tried to follow the philosophy of this: If I do what the Lord expects of me, he will give me what I want & need. That has always worked for me. I Believe in MIRACLES..........My life on this earth is a miracle- I prayed on my knees for years to be healed from my lung disease. I knew that through a priesthood blessing (if it was God's will) I could be healed. So many times I thought he would heal me instantly...my faith was tested as I continued to get sick and no cure was in my future. I turned to prayer....I talked to my Heavenly Father, I cried to him and he heard me and he healed me by guiding me to Pittsburgh and guiding the surgeons hands. I learned humility, and thankfulness. I realized that we need others to lean on and we are supposed to strengthen each others testimonies. I learned that the hardest things we'll do are usually the greatest blessings in our life. I was able to experience a lot of things during surgery and I know I had comforting angels in my ICU room. THe Lord knows each of us by name and he will never leave our side. We need to remember to stay close to him and have Faith that he is watching over us. I know this for a fact! I know that following the gospel will bring us true happiness- the world will tell us otherwise, but I know I am truely happy & living the gospel has brought me that. Amen